Proof of travel insurance is mandatory before starting the trek. Standard policies often only cover medical evacuation to 4000m so make sure the policy you get covers up to 6000m. We usually suggest World Nomads
which costs around $125. You only need to be covered on the policy for the days you will actually be trekking.
Flight Delays in Lukla/Kathmandu
The flight between Kathmandu and Lukla where the trek starts is generally reliable but if the weather is bad all flights will be canceled for the day. In the event the flight is cancelled we will attempt to get you on a chartered helicopter but you are responsible for the extra costs in this event which can range from $150 to $500 or more depending on the number of people on the flight.
We schedule one extra day into the trek already as a buffer day in case of delays but as flights can at times be delayed for several days we suggest you add a couple of extra days at the end of your trip in case of any delays. Extra days should always be scheduled at the end of the trip and not the start.
Extra Costs and Exclusions
- For visas please click here.
- Sleeping Bag Rental $12 and Down Jacket $12 if needed.
- All the meals are included on the trek but we only include breakfast while you are in Kathmandu.
- We suggest a tip for the guide and porter after the trek - Plan on a at least $80 (more will be appreciated).
- We don't include drinking water on the trek which you can buy a number of places for between $1 and $3 a bottle (it gets more expensive towards base camp). A better solution is to buy water tablets in Kathmandu for around $2 and treat the water (your guide can help you find the good places to fill your water bottle).
- The other things not included on the trek are like Wifi, charging batteries and hot showers. Wifi is available in some tea houses for $3 to $5 an hour. Hot Showers are also available in a few for around $4 and charging costs about $1.50 an hour.
- Unforeseen cost due to flight cancellation, weather conditions etc. You are responsible for extra hotel nights ($30/night) and meals in Kathmandu for any extra days in Nepal due to flight delays.
We generally don’t charge solo travelers any extra fees. Solo travelers can expect their own hotel room in Kathmandu but will need to share a room with other group members during the trek. If availability allows we will arrange private rooms on the trek as well upon request.
If you are a solo travelers and planning and not joining one of our group treks you will be charged an extra $10 a day for a porter.
We understand things happen and plans change and will refund your deposit minus a $150 cancelation fee. Once we have booked your flight between Kathmandu and Lukla your deposit is non-refundable. If your travel dates change we can generally reschedule you at no extra charge, but please provide at least 7 days advance notice.